Note: Links shown in red need more information. If you are familiar with one of these subject areas, please feel free to follow the link in order to add more information to the Government IT Wiki. Or look for our other ways to participate.
An independent federal agency that's responsible for most non-military foreign aid from the U.S. government. It offers aid in support of U.S. foreign policy objectives while also supporting economic growth, agriculture and trade; health; democracy, conflict prevention, and humanitarian assistance for targeted countries.
The agency includes an Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance to give humanitarian relief in times of disaster.
The organization can trace its roots to the Marshall Plan which helped with reconstruction of Europe after World War II. President John F. Kennedy signed the Foreign Assistance Act and created USAID by consolidating U.S. non-military foreign aid programs into a single agency
Major IT-related projects for 2009 for USAID.
GovITwiki tracks IT budget numbers for each of these projects, and offers them as reports. Ask us about custom government IT research - firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 202-413-5888.
Leading Projects at AID- 2007
Steady State IT Infrastructure & Modernization Small/Other Infrastructure Joint Acquisition and Assistance Management System Small/Other Enterprise Architecture Small/Other Administrative Systems
IT Budget History
| $176 (Proposed)
Numbers = $millions. (Data from the Office of Management and Budget)
Note on 2007 & 2008: Most civilian agencies other that the Homeland Security Department have not had a full budget approved since FY2006. A continuing resolution has keep agency spending near 2006 levels.
Most Common Procurement Methods
Recenting postings from the Agency's procurement web board are shown below
- Top Recipients of U.S. Foreign Aid - a .pdf file from the U.S. State Department.
- USAID website
- Highlights of President Kennedy's Act for International Development, Bureau of Public Afffairs, U.S. Dept. of State, June 1961
- Historical bibliography of the United States Agency for International Development, USAID Center for Development Information and Evaluation (CDIE), April 1995
- USAID primer : what we do and how we do it, USAID, rev. January 2006
- Access to over 145,000 USAID documents, reports and publications
- U.S. Overseas Loans and Grants, Obligations and Loan Authorizations, USAID annual report to U.S. Congress
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development